Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Freebie Surgery

If I had ever heard the link between weight loss and gallbladder malfunction before, I forgot.  Well, today I got official word that while I have a gallbladder, mine really isn't doing much and thus needs to come out.  In one of those life-is-stranger-than-fiction moments, I'm consulting with the surgeon (my bariatric surgeon fortunately moonlights in gallbladder removal) in the exam room about my recent test results, when an office worker barges in and says, "we have an opening at 10:30 tomorrow".  Since the scheduling department apparently knew before I did, I officially felt like I was the very last to know I needed surgery!

I'm not in an emergency situation, at least not yet.  But I see no reason to wait for it to become one.  I've had a couple of tests -- an ultrasound and a HIDA scan -- and we've determined that while I don't have gallstones, I do have a sludgy (I never knew that was a medical term) gallbladder that isn't functioning properly.  My faulty gallbladder is likely responsible for at least some of the nausea while eating, struggle to keep food down afterward, and extremely varying pain under my right shoulder blade.  Since a person can live just fine without a gallbladder, I think taking it out is the way to go.  And given that this surgery is effectively paid for due to the cost of the last surgery, somehow this is a tad more palatable.

And so, I report at 8:30 tomorrow morning and hope to be in the OR by 10:30 for an hour-long surgery.  I should go home in the afternoon and will have my fingers crossed that I'll feel able to cover at least most of my regular worship responsibilities this Sunday morning -- finding a fill-in preacher last minute on a holiday weekend isn't an easy task to pull off, although I shouldn't expect to be at usual speed for a week or so.

If you're keeping score, I'm in Molly's debt yet again.  My high-maintenance quotient is off the charts.  I can't wait to finally turn the corner into healthier days, and am praying tomorrow is the next important step.  At least there are no blizzards in the forecast for this surgery!

1 comment:

  1. From someone who has had this surgery I have to tell you that, barring any unusual circumstances, this one should be much easier than your previous. You may find it a big difficult to be at your best on Sunday but I was back at work after 4 days. Of course, you know what I do for a living so sitting behind a desk is much different than standing behind a pulpit and all the other duties of a pastor. I am praying this will take care of your problems.

    ReplyDelete