Friday, November 4, 2011

Catching Up

Very recently, I was thrilled to be asked by Fred Koenig to have my bariatric journey featured in an article in the exceptional bi-weekly Missouri Conference UMC newspaper that he edits.  Fred was incredibly gracious and his finished product warmed my heart.  You are welcome to view the article here. 

This week marked the ninth month post-surgery.  That is noteworthy to me because in the first half of that time I lost 100 pounds, and in the second four-and-a-half months I've maintained the same weight within a pound or two.  It's an incredibly small sample size, but it's a start:  I've always said that for me in my life the real challenge wasn't simply to lose the weight, but to keep it off.  Bariatric patients are at risk of falling back into old, bad habits.  As my bariatric surgeon said at a follow-up appointment not long ago, eventually the constant weight loss will stop and ultimately you'll decide (intentionally or not) how forever you're willing to change your life. 

The more times I've been privileged to tell my story, I realize many folks resonate with my rationale for having the surgery.  As I shared in the Conference news article, I am a pastor.  I've been privileged to work with so many families in the midst of planning and officiating funerals, and never had I officated a funeral for someone who died at the age I aspire to live to who was the size person I was.  Quite simply, my physical being had become a barrier to my life's calling as husband, father, and pastor.  I feel beyond blessed that this surgery has been transformative of my purpose in this world.

If you're connecting with my blog via the article that's just run, thank you for your interest.  Initially, I started the blog as a means to keep connected with family, friends, and parishioners, as well as for my own cathartic outlet.  What's grown in these months in me is an earnest desire for my blog to support others who may be discerning the bariatric path.  If I can be of any particular assistance, drop me an email.

1 comment: